Saturday, July 24, 2010

Being Gracious.... (Day 3)

DAD

I remember when my sister and I were much younger, a particular Sunday. It was always an argument as to which one of us got to sit behind our Mom. This one particular Sunday though, my Daddy pulled me aside and said- `Do you know what would be sooo cool...it would be so cool if you sat behind me!.... We could be a team!!`

After that I found myself wanting to not only attached to my Daddy at the hip, but attempting to be Daddy! I would get up early while he was getting ready for work and get ready too. I would be just as full of grease and dirt as he was on Saturdays while he was working on the cars. I`d have Saturday reading time with him while my Mom worked in her hairdressing shop! I found myself enjoying shows like The Beverly Hillbillies, Golden Girls and Get Smart just to be like him! And, since that day I always sat behind my Daddy in the car when we went places.

As I got older, my Dad not only grew more as my HERO, but more so my friend. While I no longer got up with him to get ready for work, he shared my triumphs of each new job I recived and helped me with my resumés and cover letters! While I dont get into the nitty gritty of fixing his cars on Saturday mornings, ive certianly aided in the fixing of our own cars thanks to the knowledge he has given to me through those Saturday mornings! To close the gap on the miles that now seperate us- Saturday morning reading times are no longer the same but now consist of phone calls and sype chats! And, when given the choice of whether to watch any given show or The Golden Girls, i`d pick Golden Girls!! Most of all, I know I can tell him anything and he will support me!

And now, he still continues to be an excellent Dad, but also he is proving to be a very wonderful Papa!!

Here he is with his first grandbaby- Benjamin. This is during a visit to Halifax in February and March 2009.

This is in September 2009 when Mom and Dad came to visit us in Essex. We knew that they would not be able to see Benjamin in his costume except for through pictures, so we dressed him up while they were here and took some pictures.

This picture is in April 2010 during Mom and Dad`s visit to meet Sophie. He took such gentle care of her!

....and finally, one of my favorite pictures of my Dad. This was taken in July 2010 during our vacation in Halifax, just after a very lovely relaxing walk along the waterfront!
Thank you God for my Dad!
And thank you Dad for being YOU!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mandy, once again I have to tell you - you have such a gift! You know just what to say and just how to say it. When I am feeling lower than dirt, you have just the right things to say at just the right time! I may not be the best Dad in the world, but what I am, is the Dad of the best Daughters in the world. You are the greatest gift outside of salvation that our God has ever given to me. Thank YOU for being my Daughter and allowing God to flow through you as he does. I Love You with all my heart!
Daddy - xoxoxo