Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A need to be SUPER Mama!!

Secrets Out!!!

I too strive to be the cliche "Super Mama". But....who doesn't?!?!?

This past week, i've been wrestling with the idea of this "Super Mama". What characteristics make a Super Mama? Who is she? What does she look like?

For years "Super Mama" to me was- the Mama who could do it ALL. Cook gourmet meals daily in time for Daddy's arrival home to enjoy both lunch and dinner in style as a family... , have the house completely clean from top to bottom- ALL the time, someone who looked great (hair done, make-up applied perfectly, pressed and fashionable attire), someone who never wrestled to complete the laundry on a daily basis, and someone who had a relationship with God that influenced their little ones.

....and then I realized. This is a big moment for me... of that list of qualities that made up "Super Mama" to me the most important was kind of an add-on at the end. Sure, since I surrendered my life and heart to God 13 years ago I have been living for him... but how important am I making that relationship with God in my life now with children?

At the end of the day- who cares if my clothes are pressed, my hair is brushed, or if there is a load of laundry uncomplete! (I can hear my dear Mother gasp at the thought of a load of laundry left ALL NIGHT unattended! Ha!) What really matters is taking the time to show my love and affection and become a Christ-like influence in my two little darling's lives! How many of us rush through the routine of our day and without realizing it spend little or no time with our children? I don't just mean routine things like bathtime, mealtime etc, but get-down-on-the-floor-and-play time with our children? Time to chat, and get to know that little personality that you've created and God has knit together...?

I don't want to be one of those Mama's who look back when their teenager rebels and think- "I suppose it didn't really matter if I mopped the floor and folded the laundry that Tuesday morning 13 years ago, as much as the time with my child matters now that they're 'lost'. I really missed out on that golden opportunity!" I've gotten to know a couple of those Mama's, and [she] isn't a happy lady!

Proverbs 22:6 reminds me that if you "Train up your child in the way (s)he should go, when (s)he is old (s)he wont depart from it."

I remember a conversation while having coffee with a wonderful friend and someone who has impacted my life for many years, shortly after Benjamin was born. She is a great Mama herself- certianly an example to follow, and she LOVES children but only has two. I asked her during that visit why her and her husband didn't have more children? She answered with one of those life-altering answers that I will never forget. "We are busy with our jobs and with the church. We made a promise from the beginning of our marriage that we would not have any more children than our schedules permitted us to properly pour our lives into."

With these thoughts... I have made an amendment to my own daily routine! Each day I will set aside 1.5 hours at least to spend time with my two precious ones. During this time I will forget the other "needs" that usually haunt me throughout the day! I tried it this morning and they were completely delighted!

Thank you God for this gentle, yet very important reminder!

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

Well said! I think you'll find it interesting that if you read over the "Ideal Wife" Proverb, you'll find NO mention of house-cleaning. :) You definitely have your priorities sorted out! One thing I've been trying to do with my kids is pray a simple morning offering, so we start off each day by offering it to Jesus. It helps keep me centered on what's *really* important.